Monday, June 16, 2008

Wise Living


I was just reading in Ephesians 5 for my quiet time, and something new struck me that I'm sure I've heard but not really listened to a thousand times.  In verse 15, we are told to "be careful how you live. Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise."  And again in verse 17, "don’t act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do."  I've always read these verses and thought that I live a pretty good life and try to do what pleases God.  But I don't think that's what God really is telling us through His Word.  It struck me tonight that ignorance is no excuse and that living for God is not something that really comes naturally.  To many of you, this may seem pretty intuitive, but it really surprised me when I thought about it just recently.  I've always tried to just follow the rules I'm told and to do what feels right.  If I feel guilty about something, I don't do it.  If I feel like something needs to be done, I do it.  Of course, this doesn't always work out perfectly, but you get the idea.  But in Ephesians, God is telling us to start THINKING.  We need to look at our lives and evaluate them and really think through our actions and thoughts and words!  This is so vital because when we do this, we can really start understanding what God wants us to do. Taking the clean, easy road isn't always the best way.  Jesus didn't even get along with the religious leaders of his day very well, and they followed all the rules.  Seeking God is about seeking His heart and really SEARCHING and THINKING.  I want to stop being a fool, led by the law only or by emotions only.  I want to start seeking after the pure and beautiful heart of my Lord and Savior!! He is the whole reason I am here--He is my everything!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home