Monday, June 02, 2008

Earnestness


2 Corinthians 7:9-10
“I now rejoice not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance, for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us. For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation but the sorrow of the world produces death.” The whole idea of forgiveness has really been on my heart lately. It amazes me how God is able to still take us back after we sin. And how he has even forgiven us already for the sins we will eventually commit. It’s so awesome to think that when we repent to God there is no strings attached. For a time we feel guilty because our sin but then we know that God will forgive and restore us. Later it says, “…the sorrow of the world produces death.”. When I read this I think of people that I love in my life that are just falling, especially my family members or close friends. I look at them and see so much baggage and hurt. There sin and shame is just weighing them down and you can just see right through them. I hurt for them so much. It also says,“Human sorrow is unsanctified remorse and has no redemptive capability. It is nothing more than the wounded pride of getting caught in sin and having one’s lusts go unfilled.” Human sorrow is scary. This type of sorrow will suffocate you because your holding so much guilt and shame in. It's like your stuck in this hole and there is no way out.... As Christians, after we sin we have this initial reaction called earnestness. This is my new favorite word. It is the reaction to eagerly pursue righteousness. It is the attitude (after repenting) to forget about our sin, and then run straight to God. When I sin, right afterwards I feel guilty. It consumes me and drives me bonkers. I try turning from God because I’m so ashamed but it just makes it worse. Before I know it I have this earnestness to crawl back to him. Not that I should take advantage of it but I know he will forgive and restore me. And when I do I have this crazy, great feeling. I long for God. All of my fear and indignation is gone. I’m praying that God will reach out to the people in my life, our church, and in the world who are holding this human sorrow. Who are just wanting to reach out but their sin is holding them back. We just need to ALL continue to pray that God will just wreck life's and that people will have this earnestness to crawl back to him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home